Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sociology

 In one of my readings "Freaks, Greeks, and Cool Kids" talks about how teenagers are in terms of the social society we are living in. It talks about status which is the accumulation approval and disapproval that people expresses towards people, groups, or objects. Sociology is the study of the human development and mind. What I was reading in the article about status is that many teenagers talks about their physical appearance of males, how someone that is physically fit can have a major role and can attract attention towards fellow classmates. Many of these attribute has certain dominance with the power they can posses in these kind of environments. Also, females attribute power like the way they dress, how beautiful they can look could have its own power by attracting many other students towards them. It is like having their own power in a certain position in the environment or power in that place they are located at that certain time. I believed that all this is very true in many of the high schools I have seen or been to in many areas in New York. I strongly agree about how teenagers are and how they spend their parents money have a major impact in the country's economy.

In an article I had to read for class was " Why Poor Students Struggle" where many low income students were quitting or stopping to go to school because of how expensive these private college's can be. Also, how if there is a paper work that has been changed in your parents income can lead to less financial aid for you, where money have to come out of your packet or in worse cases you have to quit and find a job. I believe when you move to a different location for a different college you try to get assimulated because you are foreign to the location and major factors have to be taking into accountant as a student from out of state or either international. This separates many major gaps between the wealth of many people and the different economic classes we have. I believe its the separation of students from their own cities that has been affecting many of the students that goes far from home. Its not that they could not do the school work because of how they are thinking when they come from a different environment. I could relate especially moving from South America to North America was a very big change in my life as a child. I was very confuse why I was here? If my life will ever be the same as back home from my home country Guyana?

No comments: